Uncertainty in Europe Brings Major Indices Down (GE, NFLX)
Political turnover in the Dutch and French governments was a source of investor unease today, as most major indices fell by nearly 1 percent. Also of concern was a report from China that manufacturing had slowed down. Facebook reported that its sales grew year over year from $731 million to $1.06 billion. Wal-Mart (WMT) shares took a beating after it was revealed that the Mexican division of the retail giant had been engaging in systematic bribery. A general slump in the demand for toys left Hasbro (HAS) with a Q1 loss of $2.6 million.
Word on the Street
- Political turmoil in Europe was reflected in the market today.
- There has been a manufacturing slowdown in China.
- Social Security looks like it's heading for a benefits cut.
- Facebook reported that sales grew 45 percent in Q1.
- Wal-Mart (WMT) shares were down on news of a bribery scandal in its Mexican division.
- Hasbro (HAS) saw sales fall in Q1.
Published on Apr 23, 2012By InvestorGuide Staff