US Indicies Fight For Final Gains; Nine S&P 500 Dividends Increase
By Friday, European stocks hit a one-week high as a Spanish bailout becomes more likely after next week's policy meeting. Along with this news and continued optimism over Apple's (AAPL) iPhone 5 sale, US indices were lifted. Nine members of the S&P 500 have announced increased dividend payouts, including Yum Brands (YUM), McDonald's (MCD) and ConAgra (CAG). KB Homes (KBH) jumped to a new high of 14% after reporting a rebound in profit.Research in Motion Ltd. (RIMM) saw shares fall 6.5% after its BlackBerry device suffered an outage. Oil prices rose for the second day, countering the 7% decline it saw early in the week and gold prices posted a modest gain after a drop in the dollar.
Word on the Street
- Oil prices rose for a second session after a 7% fall earlier this week.
- Spain is edges closer to a bailout as Rajoy strategically leaks plans for the country's budget.
- General Motors (GM) recalls about 474,000 sedans due to problems affecting three models.
- Oracle (ORCL) reports missed earnings for their first quarter with total revenue down 2.3%.
- Nine of the S&P 500's companies announce they will increase their dividend payouts.
- RIM (RIMM) suffers a hit due to a BlackBerry service outage sending shares down.
- ConAgra (CAG) Beats the Top and Bottom Lines; Shares Rally to a 7-Month High.
- Moves for the 99% to make in order to invest like Main Street's 1%.
- Essential qualities you should be looking for in all potential candidates to fill a position.
Published on Sep 21, 2012By InvestorGuide Staff