Tech Stocks Help Markets Rebound; ABI/Modelo Deal Settled by DOJ (MCD, BUD)
Late reports of earnings yesterday and G20 statements led the markets higher on Friday. Both Google (GOOG) and Microsoft's (MSFT) higher-than-expected earnings lifted the tech-heavy Nasdaq. McDonald's (MCD) was one of Friday's decliners, dropping 2% after reporting flat Q1 earnings and sales. Anheuser-Busch InBev (BUD) and Grupo Modelo finally made an agreement with the Justice Department that will help move their merger forward.After a week of back-and-forth yield swings, Treasurys fell flat on Friday. Both the US dollar and the euro gained against the yen after the G20 countries did not oppose recent Japanese monetary policy.
Word on the Street
- G-20 members release statements that policy makers must take more action to ramp up global growth and demand.
- Anheuser-Busch InBev (BUD) makes deal with the Justice Department.
- Data shows that developing economies are recovering more quickly.
- Boeing (BA) gets approval for design changes and sees shares surge.
- SeaWorld Entertainment Inc. sees a successful first day of trading on the NYSE.
Published on Apr 19, 2013By InvestorGuide Staff