Major Airline Merger Ahead; Stocks End the Day Mixed
The stock market falls flat after the Dow Jones set a record high at the end of the trading day yesterday. The Dow Jones and the S&P 500 ended the day down, while Nasdaq had a very slight increase. The Federal Reserve should be announcing the confirmation of Janet Yellen as the new Federal Reserve chief as early as Thursday. Investors are awaiting this appointment because it could help forecast when the Fed will taper its stimulus spending. The Justice Department allowed American Airlines (AAMRQ) and US Airways (LCC) to finalize their merge today after blocking the deal months ago on antitrust grounds.
Word on the Street
- American Airlines (AAMRQ) and US Airways (LCC) agree to merger terms.
- Saudi Arabia will no longer be the world's top oil producer, U.S. to take over by 2015.
- Twitter (TWTR) launches new custom timelines on its app.
- 10 investments to keep an eye on.
- Apple's (AAPL) new iPad Mini is now available to purchase.
- Many Black Friday deals will begin on Thanksgiving this year.
- Transocean (RIG) stock up on Icahn agreement.
Published on Nov 12, 2013By InvestorGuide Staff