Americans Confused as Tax Season Approaches; Ford Increases Dividend
Stocks continue to struggle in the new year as the Dow Jones and Nasdaq end the day down. Certain advocates believe that U.S. taxpayers should get a "bill of rights" from the IRS explaining what the IRS can and cannot demand from them. Many Americans are confused every tax season and this was seen last year when the IRS got 109 million calls throughout 2013, but only 61% of these calls actually got through. Due to overall good profit numbers in 2013 Ford (F) has decided to increase its quarterly dividend to shareholders by 25%, this will boost the first quarter dividend to 12.5 cents per share, up from 10 cents per share.Many retailers cut their expectations for fourth-quarter profits, showing that Americans didn't spend as much money during the holiday season in comparison to what retailers were expecting.
Word on the Street
- Jobless claim falls by 15,000 last week.
- Why Barnes & Noble's (BKS) Nook wasn't successful.
- UberX offers the cheapest car service in many markets.
- Americans aren't happy with their health care options on the federal website.
- Snapchat apologizes...a week after the hack.
- Apple's (AAPL) iPhone turns 7 today!
- Macy's (M) to cut 2,500 jobs, improves 2014 forecast.
Published on Jan 9, 2014By InvestorGuide Staff