Target's Breach a Wake-Up Call; TWC Rejects Charter Communication's Bid
Stocks end up today, being led by the technology sector. While Target's (TGT) breach impacted millions of American's, JP Morgan's (JPM) CEO hopes it serves as a wake-up call to many retailers and banks. He thinks that cyber crimes will become more common if retailers and banks don't work with one another to improve security. Charter Communications (CHTR) offers $61 billion to purchase Time Warner Cable (TWC). Charter prepared its third offer to purchase Time Warner Cable but TWC's board of directors rejected the offer, calling it "a third grossly inadequate proposal".Wells Fargo (WFC) achieved higher than expected Q4 earnings as its net income rose by 10% to $5.6 billion. The nation's fourth-largest bank benefited from overall improvements in consumers' credit.
Word on the Street
- Target's (TGT) large security breach should be a wake-up call.
- Despite large penalty for role in Madoff scandal, JP Morgan's (JPM) stock rises.
- Does increasing the minimum wage mean a raise for all?
- Is Reaganomics set to make a comeback in 2014?
- Apple (APPL) is set to sell the iPhone 4 at a low price in India.
- Tesla (TSLA) recalls 29,000 Model S wall charging adapters for fire risk.
- Beam Inc. (BEAM) to be acquired by Suntory for $16 billion.
Published on Jan 14, 2014By InvestorGuide Staff