S&P 500 & Dow Post Best Gains of 2014; Sony to Cut 5,000 Jobs
After having mixed results all week there was a positive end to trading day on Thursday, as the Dow Jones and S&P 500 posted best point gains of the year. Sony (SNE) announced that it will be cutting as many as 5,000 jobs as the company has decided to sell its PC business to focus more on tablets and smartphones. On the plus side, Sony's game division was up 64% due to the recent launch of Sony's PS4. Today, Mathew Martoma was found guilty or insider trading becoming the eighth current or former SAC Capital employee to be convicted of insider trading charges.
Word on the Street
- Yelp's (YELP) shares jump up 20% due to positive outlook.
- AOL (AOL) CEO (k).
- Apple (AAPL) removes all Bitcoin trading apps from its App Store.
- Subway will remove specific chemical from their bread.
- Pinterest changes mobile website to better integrate features.
- Sony to cut up to 5,000 jobs to focus more on tablets and smartphones.
- Five stocks to watch in February.
Published on Feb 6, 2014By InvestorGuide Staff