All of the major stock indices in the U.S. ended down today after the Fed’s minutes were released. The minutes from the Fed’s meeting at the end of January showed that the majority of its members continue to agree on tapering the stimulus despite some lower than expected economic reports. The housing market fell for the second straight month in January as the bad winter weather continues. Many expected that 2014 would be the year construction and housing markets took off, but after almost two months into the year, these expectations don’t appear to be materializing. Google (GOOG) announced that it has plans to expand its Fiber Internet service to 34 new cities. This would greatly impact all of the major internet and cable providers in the United States, since Google claims its service is 100 times faster that what most internet users use today.
Word on the Street
- Fed likely to continue tapering the stimulus.
- Is the housing market no longer in recovery?
- Apple (AAPL) needs to release their updated iPhone soon.
- Google (GOOG) would like to expand Google Fiber into 34 more cities.
- Has General Motors (GM) known about faulty ignition switch for 10 years?
- Coca-Cola (KO) falls on lower than expected revenues.