U.S. Worker's Productivity Increased 2.5% in Q2; Tekmira's Shares Up 45%
Stocks recovered today, with the Dow jumping up around 185 points and the S&P 500 ending above 1900. Many investors thought the U.S. market would follow Japan as the Nikkei index dropped 3% today. Shares of Ebola drugmaker, Tekmira Pharmaceuticals (TKMR) soared 45% today after the FDA allowed potential use of the pharmaceutical company's experimental drug to treat those infected with the Ebola virus that is sweeping through western Africa. U.S. worker's productivity rose by 2.5% in the second quarter, recovering from a sharp plunge in the first quarter.Over the past 12 months, U.S. worker productivity has increased 1.2%.
Word on the Street
- Jobless claims hit an 8 1/2 year low.
- 38% of investors are feeling "bearish" this month.
- 11 companies that have shaped society & the modern world.
- Hyundai delayed recall, fined $17 million.
- Samsung set to make the new Nook Tablet.
- Looking at Google's (GOOG) IPO 10 years later.
- Pfizer (PFE) faces wave of lawsuits over Lipitor.
Published on Aug 8, 2014By InvestorGuide Staff