When Will the Fed Raise Short-Term Interest Rates?
The S&P 500 closed just short of a record, despite ending the day in the green. Investors are seeking answers to when the Federal Reserve expects to raise short-term interest rates. Last month the majority of the Fed policymakers said they were not expecting to raise interest rates until early 2015, but if the economy continues to strengthen more than they were originally expecting we may see the interest rates rise from historic lows sooner than expected. Target's (TGT) woes continue as they cut their 2014 profit forecast once again.Target's Q2 earnings was down nearly 62% compared to the same quarter a year ago, with the massive security breach costing the retailer $111 million in Q2 alone.
Word on the Street
- Housing market posts strongest rebound in 8 months.
- Fed may hike up interest rates earlier than expected.
- Bank of America (BAC) reaches $17B settlement.
- Target (TGT) cuts is 2014 forecast yet again.
- 316 S&P 500 stocks to purchase over Apple's (AAPL).
- Intellectual Ventures lays off 19% of its workforce.
- Salix Pharmaceuticals (SLXP) soars on acquisition offer.
Published on Aug 20, 2014By InvestorGuide Staff