Dow is Down for 5th Straight Day; Netflix Tumbles 24%
U.S. stocks end the day in the red. Investors were worried late in the day as the Dow was down 460 points, but ended the day down only 173 points. The stocks continued to be dragged down by a slowing global economy, mixed Q3 corporate earnings reports, and fear of the Ebola virus spreading throughout the globe. Netflix's (NFLX) shares tumbled 24% in after-hour trading after the video streaming company announced that they they fell short of meeting their Q3 subscriber gain estimates. This drastic drop also comes on the same day that Time Warner Cable (TWC) announced that they would offer HBO as a broadband streaming service beginning in 2015.
Word on the Street
- Scary month on Wall Street continues.
- Beige Book reveals modest economic growth with no inflation.
- Time Warner Cable (TWC) shares up after HBO announcement.
- Airline stocks continue to fall.
- Apple's (AAPL) shares are trading below $100.
- Gas prices below $3 in 10 states.
- Domino's Pizza (DPZ) up on better than expected earnings.
Published on Oct 15, 2014By InvestorGuide Staff